VOEvent Update: JSON and data models

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 15 21:21:05 CEST 2017

Roy,

Ha! You are back :-)

I equally respectfully submit that the choice of "HJD" and "UT" is unwise
(and actually foolish), for the following reasons:

- Heliocentric Julian Day is not an allowed representation of a time stamp,
either in FITS, or in STC
- HJD is a confusing term in that it entangles (presumably, but not for
certain) a time representation with a time reference position
- HJD is (probably) a misnomer (though, who knows?); I suspect it really
refers to the solar system barycenter, rather than the heliocenter
- UT probably (but who knows?) is intended to refer to UTC, rather than UT
- UT is a poor choice to combine with anything that has JD in it, since it
can become ambiguous
- If indeed the barycenter is intended to be the time reference position,
TDB is the obvious choice, since UTC is not  a linear timescale at the
barycenter

In short:
It's an ambiguous (and lazy) shorthand for metadata that should be
specified more precisely and explicitly.
Instead, use:
- Time scale = TDB
- Timestamp representation = JD (or MJD, or ISO 8601, if you like)
- Time reference position = BARYCENTER
It probably helps to also specify the solar system ephemeris used, like
DE405

I may refer to the Time Metadata 101 that I circulated in May.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA