ivoa: DM type system

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 18 18:23:46 CEST 2017

Gerard,

I was thinking about this more on the way home yesterday..  I don't think
datetime can handle all three cases.
  + it certainly handles DATE-OBS, as an instant in time (date+time)
  + it may handle MJDREF, as it could be considered different
representation of a date+time as 'MJD' date.

  + TSTART (TIMEOFFSET)  requires additional information (the time0 of the
frame) to determine, and can have a variety of units [ms, s, d, m, y, ... ]
which the others don't.
      while the first two represent an instant in time, this is really a
span of time, which can be converted to an instant if you know the start
point.
      Yes.. that is the same as MJDREF, but MJD has a fixed, known start
point while this one is arbitrary and cannot be internalized to the type.

So, I still think we need both.

Mark