ivoa: DM type system

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 18 18:07:37 CEST 2017

A time stamp is a specification on a particular time instance instance
within a given space-time frame
This can be represented as a Julian Date or Modified Julian Date (in which
case its primitive is a real) or as a datetime primitive which is to be
implemented as a calendar-based string.

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Gerard Lemson <gerard.lemson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Arnold
>

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Arnold Rots <arots at cfa.harvard.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Oh, and proleptic Gregorian. See section 3 of the WCS paper.

>> Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
>> Science Center
>> Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
>> 7701 <(617)%20496-7701>
>> 60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1
>> 617 495 7356 <(617)%20495-7356>
>> Cambridge, MA 02138
>> arots at cfa.harvard.edu
>> USA
>> http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Arnold Rots <arots at cfa.harvard.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The datetime string (subset of ISO-8601, as defined in FITS WCS paper
>>> VI) is specified as:
>>>
>>> [+|-C]CCYY-MM-DD[Thh:mm:ss[.s...]]
>>>
>>> 'T' is a literal, the other letters stand for single digits with obvious
>>> meaning.
>>>
>>>   - Arnold
>>>

> This still seems to be a definition in terms of a serialization that in
> the VO-DML base types I would like to avoid.
> Just like we do not want to be bothered by how an ivoa:real is represented
> (ASCII-decimal, IEEE standard floating point, whatever).
>
> I don't know what the best description of this serialization-independent
> concept would be.
> Would something like "the 0 component of some observer's four vector
> identifying an event in 4-d space-time" be correct?
>
> Cheers
> Gerard

>>> Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
>>> Science Center
>>> Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617
>>> 496 7701 <(617)%20496-7701>
>>> 60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1