ivoa: DM type system

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Apr 11 18:41:46 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I agree with Markus, having LITERAL @dmtypes compliant with VOTable datatypes would be valuable.
Unfortunately, LITERAL @dmtypes are not necessarily in the ivoa name space (ivoa:xx).
They can refer to dataTypes defined into the model. This is the case for ENUM literals e.g..
The following example is taken out from a mapping example written by MCD.

    <LITERAL dmtype="coordsys:domain.spatial.StdRefFrame" value="ICRS"/>

It is valid, however it forces clients to do some inferences. Even if we consider that LITERAL as a String by default, we cannot
not make sure that the value (ICRS e.g.) is valid against the model.

Being playing with the new mapping, I would say that this is a more general issue:
1) The model specifies types.
2) The VOTAble data have their own types
3) The mapping maps both one to one without checking that types match.
As before, we rely on the client skill to solve conflicts.

Finally, I do not think that renaming ivoa types as VOTable datatypes will help that much.
This is must be clarified in the standard by the way

Cheers
LM

--
jesuischarlie/Tunis/Paris/Bruxelles/Berlin

Laurent Michel
SSC XMM-Newton
Tél : +33 (0)3 68 85 24 37
Fax : +33 (0)3 )3 68 85 24 32