ivoa: DM type system

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 11 18:14:59 CEST 2017

Markus,

re: extracting the ivoa model from the vo-dml document.
  This suggestion has come up multiple times for various reasons, and I
think it has been
  generally considered a good idea, or at least not a bad idea.. but hasn't
had sufficient
  momentum to become an action item.  I think we may be there now.

  The mail you refer to, and example serialization also depend on an
addition/change to
  the ivoa model if this alternate modeling is considered the right
approach.

re: use of 'ivoa' types in annotation.
  The ivoa types model serves to provide a common type set for models.
  What goes into the LITERAL tag in the annotation is a topic for the
Mapping syntax.
  I expect the reasoning for using the ivoa type in the annotation is to
provide consistency
  when interpreting the annotation.  Regardless of the serialization
format, interpreting the
  content is the same... and based on the vo-dml ids.

  I'll let the Mapping people talk more to that though.

Mark