Obscore dataproduct_type question

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:59:17 CEST 2016

Guilty as charged :-)

Our underlying data model (CAOM2) has catalog as a valid type and I
recall some of us trying to get catalog into the vocabulary back
before 1.0.... I can easily fix this because ObsCore is a view on
CAOM2, with the cost being that people can't find all the products via
ObsCore. But for ASKAP, if they implement ObsCore directly then they
would be left with no way to provide discovery of catalog products.

The DM rationale is that ObsCore is a list of products (it is a
flattened view of Observation+Product where there is a 1..* relation).
As such, there are certainly other kinds of things that can be created
from data (besides just more data). Do such things belong in ObsCore?
I obviously think they do so IMO we should add to the vocabulary and
I've either been meaning to request it or forgot about that little
non-compliance.

The alternative that I see if that access to the catalog would be a
link in a DataLink response with semantics="derivation"... and then
probably augment the DataLink vocabulary to be able to ay catalog...
and then still not be able to discover them via a data discovery
query. DataLink *is* awesome and all, but that doesn't seem so great.

So: can we add "catalog" to the ObsCore-1.1 vocabulary for
datapoduct_type? +1 from me

--
Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre