Obsc ore 1.1 WD

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu Oct 8 19:45:40 CEST 2015

I confess that I find this a bit weird. E.g., consider a telescope with
several coaligned photon-counting detectors (so multiple
detectors are looking at the same or overlapping fields of view).

After I combine detectors I can have sets of  multiple photons with
identical energy, time, and position.  The photons may have been
detected in different detectors originally, but the scientist has thrown
that information away as irrelevant.  The whole idea of a grid to me is
that we only see each grid element once, but now we have the same grid
element showing up multiple times.  To me a grid value intrinsically
represents some kind of integration over the grid area/volume. Events
typically represent discrete photons.  While there may be errors
associated with the measurement of the characteristics of the photon
(and Heisenberg suggests that there will be!) a photon is a different
class of beast than a grid element.   It's sort of like saying that when
we are taking a census of people we should treat them as a grid of times
and places of birth.  We could do so but seeing the grid as the
underlying structure seems wrong...

     Regards,
     Tom McGlyn