regarding ALTTYPE [was RE: vo-dml in votable]

gerard.lemson@gmail gerard.lemson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 21:37:21 CET 2015

Hi Laurent
> Hello everybody,
>
> Reading the last threads I do not see any formal constraint on the
modeling
> space enclosed into the VO-DML serialization.
> I may have missed something, but I'm understanding that VO-DML is not only
> intended to carry the mapping of VO models in DAL responses but that it
should
> support any sort of DMs,
>
> I think that clarifying this point could help contributors (myself at
> least) to both figure out what are the stakes of this open though a little
bit
> obscure discussion about ALTTYPEs and to have an idea about where to put
the
> cursor between the completeness of the VODML specification and a short
term
> issue of a first recommendation usable by both client and service
implementers.

> For instance, it is clear that considering models as abstract entities
which are not
> particularly related to some specific background will lead us to tackle
with all OO
> facets whereas limiting the scope of the considered DMs to some
composition
> or derivation of already defined VO quantities could allow significant
> simplification in the serialization process.

My first response would be that the VODML elements proposed to be added to
the VOTable spec will identify elements from a VO-DML data model (i.e. the
old utype idea). *How* this annotation is to be interpreted and the
rules/restrictions that define valid annotation patterns is the subject of
the "mapping document". The main discussion theere is how to use GROUPs and
their child elements to represent the types etc form the VO-DML data model.
It is precisely the fact that we have in VO-DML a formally defined
meta-model for data models that we can define such mapping patterns and
rules.
There is a version of the mapping document on volute
(https://volute.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/projects/dm/vo-dml/doc/MappingDMtoV
OTable-v1.0.docx, earlier versions in the same folder) that is still written
under the assumption we'd use the utype attribute. I am in the process of
updating that document, a process that includes updating the examples to
have the <VODML><ROLE/><TYPE/></VODML> design. The question on the
multiplicity of VODML/TYPE and eventual other minor additions to that
element are not so important for that next draft.
But I think we must be allowed to keep some options open to change the
request for change on VOTable based on the discussions on that mapping
specification. For it is that document that should guide the VOTable
additions, not the other way around.

Cheers
Gerard