regarding ALTTYPE [was RE: vo-dml in votable]

Laurent MICHEL laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Mar 24 21:13:50 CET 2015

Hello everybody,

Reading the last threads I do not see any formal constraint on the
modeling space enclosed into the VO-DML serialization.
I may have missed something, but I'm understanding that VO-DML is not
only intended to carry the mapping of VO models in DAL responses but
that it should support any sort of DMs,

I think that clarifying this point could help contributors (myself at
least) to both figure out what are the stakes of this open though a
little bit obscure discussion about ALTTYPEs and to have an idea about
where to put the cursor between the completeness of the VODML
specification and a short term issue of a first recommendation usable by
both client and service implementers.

For instance, it is clear that considering models as abstract entities
which are not particularly related to some specific background will lead
us to tackle with all OO facets whereas limiting the scope of the
considered DMs to some composition or derivation of already defined VO
quantities could allow significant simplification in the serialization
process.

Joining the discussion very late and being not a guru, I hope not to be
too much naive =:)

Bye
Laurent

NOTE: Something went wrong with this mail, This mail has been sent 3
times on APPs in addition with a draft, but not on DM/DAL.
Sorry

--
---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---