Spectral 2.0 - Document update

Frédéric Paletou fpaletou at irap.omp.eu
Fri Jun 12 11:34:49 CEST 2015

     dear all,

     i support/agree with petr concerns... i already did mention similar
issues both at nara (2010) and heidelberg (2013) interops -
presentations can be found @

  http://filez.irap.omp.eu/27o8xcinv7om

  http://filez.irap.omp.eu/3b9vrzjk9byr

     our main 'product' now is http://polarbase.irap.omp.eu/ and that we
still wish to be as much VO-compliant as possible!

     best regards,        fpaletou

Le 11/06/2015 20:14, Petr Skoda a écrit :

> Hi all
>
> I did not want to repeat myself for the 100th time (but it seems its
> necessary) - so in summary
>
> So far I did not see proper description (and singe working service)
> using proper SDM elements to describe normalized spectra since the
> time when I proposed NORMALIZED  in FLUXCALIB (in SSA) and wanted to
> cover this in SDM (the arith.ratio was there but I have noticed in the
> meantime that people have different idea about what is normalization
> to continuum.
> With some hacks we succeed running DaCHS - delivering normalized
> spectra or even computing them on the fly.  It allowed a lot of
> interesting science ( more on this as reply to Igor's mail as well).
>
> But so far we had to ignore the fact that the flux axis is simply
> faked - and even in DaCHS it needed hacks to display some reasonable
> axis description (as it is internally bound to SDM and so inherently
> insufficient to describe this properly).
>
> So I was hoping that the work on SDM2.0 and SSAP v2 will correct this
> historic omission... Thats why I simply asked recently - supposing its
> naturally included .
>

>> Thanks for the questions, I like to get input on use-cases which aren't
>> (perhaps) covered by the current model.  The scope and coverage of the
>> Spectral-2.0 model hasn't changed in some time.
>
> That is what I am worry about !
>
> Already in Heidelberg there was a quite cleanly demostrated by A
> Pallacios as I remember that Spectropolarimetry na basically all the
> high resolution spectral analysis thay wanted to do on Narval data was
> not possible due to the need of clearly describe the continuum
> normalized spectra - the VOSpec did not expect empty units and it did
> not work with
> no Dimensional factors ....
>
> In fact in SPLAT there is no proper solution as well.
>
> I think that there is a good time to solve this issues by giving
> explicit recommendation how to do it properly - e.g as an special
> appendix of SDM.
>
> The contiuum is explained as a ratio of two spectra - so the problem
> is how to reference the second one. Which PUBDID should it have - or
> is it something like the zero point deserving special keywords ?
> How to serialize this in FITS ?
>
> So the problem is
>
> 1) can we freely use EMPTY unit description  in FluxAxis ? What about
> ucd for this ?
>
> What  Mireille suggests was exactly my good feeling   that it is clear
> and natural:
>
> Char.FluxAxis.CalibrationStatus='NORMALIZED'
> Char.FluxAxis.unit=NULL  or 'unitless'
> Char.FluxAxis.ucd=phot.flux;arith.ratio;
>
> BTW  will this work as well for ObsCore ucd ?
>
> How will the NULL be expressed in Osuna-Salgado conversions like
> SpectralDataset.fluxSI  ?
>
> And in SDM2.0 Appendix B.1 is only
> phot.flux.density;arith.ratio
>
>  it is of course to discussion if density is required or not .

> [...]

Frédéric Paletou, Irap (Cnrs-Umr5277), tél: +33 561332861
Observatoire Midi-Pyrénées, Université de Toulouse
OV-GSO [http://ov-gso.irap.omp.eu] - http://goo.gl/fwYTz5