Spectral 2.0 - Document update

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Thu Jun 11 20:45:45 CEST 2015

> Petr,

> Regarding your second point, that is one more reason why wavelength is such
> a bad choice for spectral coordinates. Frequency makes much more sense and
> has the advantage that its conversion to the third type, energy, is linear
> - it's two against one :-)

It is exactly the question - should we enforce something which is
convenient and logical or should the VO be understandable to experts in
the field that have some habits and experience ? (e.g. many stellar
astronomer know by heart air wavelength of whole Balmer series  and many
He Si and Mn lines and by quick look they see bug in pipeline).

I am afraid that say simply the protocol should be nice and simple and the
presentation is the problem of the client - is leading exactly to the
ignorance of VO technology by wide community.
The problem is lack of support for development of omnipotent client.
Basically as a data provider I want to find some pattern how to publish my
type of data most similar to what my target community is expecting.
But I hardly will convince someone developping spectral client to
implement my specific wishes. So there must be some plurality of options
to choose from.

> But you alerted me to the fact that I need to add another property to the
> wavelength variant of the spectral coordinate in STC2.

I am glad that the importnance of this issue was understood.

Best regards,

Petr

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *