[Obscore DM update ] Redshift axis and Spectral Axis

Louys Mireille mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Mon Apr 27 20:26:57 CEST 2015

dear DMers,

I am trying to recap on the discussion held since 2013 about the
addition of a redshift or doppler axis in Obscore.
there has been various opinions expressed and typically two different
ways to think about it :

1. Some dataset contain velocity measurements and are sampled inside a
velocity range , have velocity resolution , etc .
this is the case for Marco's Usecase for instance  Then quite naturally
we could think a new axis is needed .
this was the first suggestion we had before and at the Banff interop
meeting.

2. The doppler shift is always derived from an initial set of spectral
measurements . Therefore it can be described as a spectral axis , with
added reference position , rest frequency , etc. , specific unit in km/s
, specific ucd.
if I consider the  Spectral FITS WCS specification,(
http://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pdf/2006/05/aa3818-05.pdf) the
velocity/doppler axes can have several flavors that are characterized
precisely. Table 1 and Table 2 of the spec , provide all tags to
differentiate the various cases.

I also gave a second read to the most recent version of ImageDM
published in March , and from the description of the Spectral coordinate
class ,Fig 20. p 55 compared to the RedshiftCoordinate Fig 21, it is
clear the two subtrees have a lot in common . This means the Redshift
coordinate could just be a derived class of the spectral coordinate
construct, with the addition of all the reference frequency, positions ,
etc. , needed for that.

For the needs of the Obscore v1.1 update , I suggest that velocity cubes
be discovered by using *em_ucd*, with the possible values equal to the
following , as extracted from the UCD list:

/E | spect.dopplerVeloc | Radial velocity, derived from the shift of
some spectral feature//
//E | spect.dopplerVeloc.opt | Radial velocity derived from a wavelength
shift using the optical convention//
//E | spect.dopplerVeloc.radio//| Radial velocity derived from a
frequency shift using the radio convention//

/em_dim, em_min, em_max, etc  will describe the dimension and range
along the velocity axis for the returned datasets.
/
/In a more detailed description , as required for instance for the
/getmetadata/ capability in SIAv2 , then the full WCS axis description
could be exposed.

Many thanks for comments , Mireille.

--
Mireille Louys	, Maître de conférences
Centre de Données ( CDS)		Icube & Télécom Physique Strasbourg, Pôle API