Cube/ImageDM - Comments on Observation-Dataset Overview diagram

Robert J. Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Tue May 13 09:00:04 PDT 2014

Hi Arnold et al.,

I don't think there is any universal agreement on the definitions of data set, dataset, data product, data file, etc.

FWIW, Wikipedia says a dataset "corresponds to the contents of a single database table."  "The term dataset may also be used more loosely to refer to the data in a collection of closely related tables, corresponding to a particular experiment or event."

In space physics, individual files are called "granules" (http://www.spase-group.org/school/tutorials/data/#granule ).

I would think the most important thing would be to define "dataset" clearly in the current context.

Bob