[Cube/ImageDM] - WCS distribution with STCMod

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri May 2 12:38:19 PDT 2014

Francois,

I'm attaching a diagram which I hope will help clarify the relationships.
It is my interpretation of a 2D image represented by the objects from the
Cube model diagrams.
Hopefully the resolution is sufficient to read it.

+ The AstroCoordSys holds the 2D Space Frame (standard spherical), and the
Frame for the Observable.
   - It would also have any Frames for non-data axes like Time, etc..
   - There can be >1 AstroCoordSys

+ PixelatedData is the 'data' container..
   - I has a PixelCoordSys holding the PixelFrames

+ PixelFrame is a 1:3D pixel axis set, here we just have the 2D set for the
spatial axes
   - It holds a refFrame which defines the Transform(s) to a Frame in
AstroCoordSys.  The 'destination' is
     specified by the reference to SpaceFrame (ref_frame_id).
   - It also holds the referencePixel and referencePos
   ** These objects are populated by the WCS information (or other source,
depending on the serialization).
   - IF there are multiple data arrays, there will be >1 PixelatedData.
     o each has their own PixelCoordSys with Transform definitions to the
destination AstroCoordSys frame.

+ The Voxel is a representation of the NDImage 'atom'
   - pixelAxes = pixel coordinate value with reference to corresponding
PixelFrame
   - independentAxes = spatial coordinate value with reference to
corresponding SpaceFrame
   - dependentAxis = 'observable' image value at those coordinates with
reference to corresponding frame.

I think the confusion comes when we consider WHEN/HOW the independentAxes
values are realized.
They are shown as Quantity, but clearly must be calculated.  What I'm
trying to show is that when these
values are served up, they are a 2D Vector Quantity.  When that happens,
will depend on the implementation.
How it happens is shown by the relationships.

The Voxel has both the PixelCoordinate and, therefore, access to the
Transform information held in
it's PixelFrame.Cart2DRefFrame.  With that information, it can calculate
the 2D Vector Quantity to
provide as the Space2DCoordinate value.

NOTE:  The STCMod portions of my diagrams are by no means to be considered
definitive.  The intent
is to illustrate the areas of the STC-1.33 recommendation which do not
quite serve the needs, and
provide a suggested alternative which does.  My expectation is that these
would be discussed, and either
be folded into a revision of STC (as is, or another solution which also
provides the needed functionality)
or not.. where we then either work around it, or keep it external from STC
as an extension.
  eg: STC-1.33 has insufficient support for non-linear transformations.
So, I defined the CustomRefFrame
        with modified structure which allows 1 linear + 1 non-linear
transform.. and added some examples
        Polynomial, Lookup, Stokes (a placeholder for handling polarization
)

MAPPING:
  As you see in the diagram, the Transform definitions (WCS) are
distributed to the PixelCoordSys object
  under 'data'.  What we decided from the earlier discussion is that this
is not what is desired to be distributed
  with an SIAP QueryResponse.
    + The SIAP QueryResponse requires 1 CoordSys defining the system all
metadata values are in.
    + It also wants to provide the full set of WCS information that the
corresponding image product contains.
       - this is given in the Mapping object.

  So, what thought we had settled on was that SIAP would define Mapping for
inclusion in the QueryResponse.
  We could provide a 'mapping' for populating Mapping from the distributed
objects.  This would essentially
  reverse the logic I used in the document showing the relation of Mapping
content with STC-1.33 earlier.

  The QueryResponse would, as usual, be comprised mostly of
ObservationDataset metadata (cut off 'data'
  from NDImageDataset), plus the Mapping, plus perhaps other summary
information about the 'data' section.
  I don't recall if things like Image.Nsubarrays, Naxes, Naxis, Pixtype
(which are all very serialization
  dependent) were needed for the QueryResponse.

Mark