[ImageDM]: Provenance

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 15 12:42:33 PST 2013

All,

While we aren't trying to define the content of the Provenance package in
this thread, this input has been really helpful to me.
I'm not cutting off discussion on the thread, but I do want to avoid this
going off into an attempt to define Provenance.

For the present question, what I'm getting is that the Provenance package
doesn't have a logical 'head'.  Where the expectation is that users will
include "Provenance" and get everything they need.  Instead, it is (will
be) a collection of classes and groupings which users (like Observation )
might choose from as needed, perhaps grouping them locally.  Even this is
speculation, so I would hesitate to add organization to something which is
still very undefined.

So I think adding a "Provenance" class to the ObsCore Provenance package
would be inappropriate.

It *may* be appropriate to add a Provenance container at the Observation
level, but I see no compelling reason to do so for the "as is" picture that
we are working.  It may be that during the further discussion of the
ImageDM and Observation/Dataset issues, that we want to add some
organization to components, but it isn't clear that a single 'Provenance'
node would be helpful.

Again, I am not closing discussion on the thread, but am leaning heavily in
the direction of option 'b', and will be updating my diagram accordingly
unless I hear a strong objection.
I expect the next drop of the image to be to the twiki (either directly or
via link) so as to not pollute mailboxes with outdated images.

Mark