Revised ImageDM-ObsCore architecture

Laurino, Omar olaurino at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 13 05:00:44 PST 2013

So, if I can try to summarize the two approaches we are discussing, we have:

1. Build on top of ObsCore and integrate the new data models (Spectral 2.0,
major release change, and Image DM, new standard) with ObsCore to support
the Data Cubes.

2. Change Obscore, with changes that might break backward compatibility
and thus require a new major release. Then integrate new models  with it.

Both approaches have the same goal and, as far as we can tell, they would
both achieve it.

The definition of backward compatibility I am using: a file compliant with
the new version of the model is also compliant with the old version, so
that software designed to support the old version does not choke on new
files.

I would like to hear people's opinion on this.

Cheers,

Omar.