how to make a publisherDID

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 26 04:55:17 PDT 2011

But this is a query string and not a fixed identifier of the sort we
want to use to index archives; the pubDID will often be used as an
actual key to build DBMS indexes (the proposed syntax might work
technically as a key but is not in the spirit of what is intended for a
DID).  Also this contains reserved characters which are not currently
legal in an IVOA dataset identifier ('?', '&', probably '=').
Everything which is legal in URI is not necessarily legal in an IVOA
dataset identifier.

I don't see any reason to change the simple nature of a DID which is an
authority ID concatenated with a (unspecified format) resource key.  We
just need to use this as a simple key as intended to go look up
additional information stored elsewhere.  The pubDID can be used to find
the ObsCore record for a data product which contains detailed
information in a standardized form.  The authority ID can be parsed off
and used to access a registry record which can be extended if we need to
store additional information at that level.

 	- Doug