how to make a publisherDID

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 01:10:13 PDT 2011

Pat,

URI permits a query part, so one possible way would be something like:

  ivo://cadc.nrc.ca/archive/cfht?observation=12345&product=raw

As far as I can see this would in principle solve the parsability
issues you're looking at, and it's more flexible than putting
everything in one hierarchical path.  It's probably a good enough
solution for human users.  However, given that it's not
currently standardised, the answer to how a machine holding one
of these actually works out what it means [still] relies on
it's understanding your particular conventions for encoding
the information in a URI.  Whether a human and/or machine actually
*needs* to understand what it means is another question, I'm not
involved enough with this stuff to have an opinion.

Mark