New STC-in-VOTable draft

Arnold Rots ahrots at gmail.com
Tue May 18 15:36:48 PDT 2010

Markus,

As usual, a slow response - apologies.
I'm sending this from my Gmail account, since it is far too painful trying
to send things
through my CfA account with the state of connectivity here.

Some residual comments:

p. 6, table 3:
LSR, LSRD, LSRK should only be allowed in spectral and redshift frames.

p. 8, table 5:
I could grumble about the IDs, but they can be reconstructed when taking
the utypes and turning them into a proper STC-X document.
However, the units are a bit more problematic. I'll grant you that there
could
be conflicts arising, but banning them makes it very hard to reconstruct the
STC-X version.

p. 10, top:
I just want to register my disagreement, for the record, with this
definition of epoch.

p. 10, sec. 4.1:
I am not clear how that region is going to be represented in the table;
wouldn't it need center and radius columns?
However, it raises another issue that we probably should have addressed:
how to represent STC-S strings. The nice thing about them is that they are
fully self-contained. Should they be string columns that have an
xtype="stc:STCS", for instance?

p. 11, end of sec. 4.2:
I'm not enamored of the name "Ephem"; why not Time or ISOTime?
And I would suggest that xtype="stc:ISOTime" might be more fitting.

Cheers,

  - Arnold