utype questions

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue May 12 04:28:46 PDT 2009

Fabulous job, Norman. You have crystallized many of my own unspoken
worries. And now there is a plan for a new attribute in VOTable with yet
another meaning.

What is the VOTable parser to do? What I do is to in the metadata to see
if the table fits the data model I am looking for. Just like looking in
the FITS keywords for the ones we recognize.

Here, for example, is some toy code from a VOTable application that is
expecting a time series, and is therefoe looking for the FIELD which is
the observation time:

    if FIELD.ucd.containsString("time.epoch")
    or
FIELD.utype.containsString("Spectrum.Char.TimeAxis.Coverage.Location.Value")
    or FIELD.units.containsString("ISO8601")
    or FIELD.representation.containsString("STC-S"):
      print "Found FIELD with observation time"

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670