Spectra DM for theoretical spectra?

Gerard gerard.lemson at mpe.mpg.de
Wed Jun 3 08:11:12 PDT 2009

Hi Carlos

> So nice that you give an example! thanks for it :-)
>
> And no, it doesn't seem difficult.
>
> The problem here is that there is not a way to know, a
> priori, if the first parameter of simulator1 has the same
> meaning or a completely different one than the first
> parameter of simulator2.
>
> (That's not a problem of SimDB, I have it too in S3, for instance)
>
> You can do that mach using the same <label>s pointing to some
> existing vocabulary using it as a reference. Actually that
> vocabulary seems to be what is needed wether or not it is
> used from inside SimDB or some other way.
>
> (and I'm sorry if I'm using the word "vocabulary" in a loosy way ;)

I agree. These vocabularies are for now required to infer whether two
parameters (may) in two different models
have the same meaning. To be completely sure they mean the saem one will
have to read the descriptions of the two models, but at least having a
common vocabulary allows one to find two codes that have a parameter whose
meaning is declared to be the same.

Eventually, IF we can create more complex models (ore possibly ontologies)
Utype might be used for this.
But for now in SimDB we assume the existence of a semantic vocabulary, even
more precisely, one expressed in SKOS (following the recommendations of the
Semantics WG).

Anyway, instead of creating a new data model for each model that people wish
to support, we could first try to describe them as instances of the
SimDB:Protocol.
And to describe actual experiments with their results we can do the same.
This would in fact be VERY USEFUL as a validation of the model and as input
(to Franck LePetit!) on contents for the semantic vocabulary we need.

Cheers

Gerard