A new version of Characterisation XML schema

Francois Bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Sun May 13 19:07:53 PDT 2007

Dear  Arnold,
      this is my last chance  to answer your mail before
the Char and STC DM sessions!!!!:
     I try to give you an open answer which should close the argument.
I guess most of my Char coworkers agree on that, which we discussed
informally some time.
Cheers
François
<From owner-dm at eso.org  Tue Feb 20 21:42:37 2007
<
<Mireille, Francois,
<
<Here is a response that I had prepared quite a while ago, but that got
<caught up in some local delays - apologies for that.
<I hope it's still useful.
<
<Cheers,
<
<  - Arnold
jjj
<
<
<1. Is Characterisation a DM or an XML schema?
     It is definitly a DM, but according to IVOA rules it has to
provide ONE xml implementation.
<   My proposition was that the information on the CharDM is fully (or
<   almost fully) contained in the STC schema.  Hence, the CharDM
<   library could as easily interface with a document containing
<   metadata based on the STC schema, as it could on a document based
<   on a specialized CharDM schema.
   For the reasons to have a specific schema we gave answers in my m	ailq
of September the 27th and October the 29th last year.
     BUT NOTHING PREVENTS ANYBODY TO PROVIDE ANY OTHER IMPLEMENTATION.
<   A subissue here is the question whether one needs separate elements
<   for bounds and support.  My argument (which, I don't think, has
<   been fully appreciated) has always been that bounds is a subset of
<   support (and, in the limit, identical to support).  Hence, a single
<   element "support" provides sufficient information; "bounds" is just
<   another method on the "support" object.
<   Alternatively, "bounds" could be considered a restricted
<   instantiation of "support".
      PROVIDING bounds as a methid would that prevent us to get
a utype for it?
<
<2. If there really is a necessity of having a separate Char schema, I
<   believe a CharDM document based on such a schema could be produced

<   from an STC document through a simple stylesheet.
<   There are various other options for integrating or coodinating the
<   two schemata, but one would have to assess the implications rather

     yes, it would be nice to have such a styleseet. May try to do tha
after the recommendation phases
<
<3. In the larger picture, if separate CharDM elements are really
<   required (which I am not convinced of), I wonder whether the
<   general DM shouldn't develop a top-level schema dmmd.xsd that would
<   specify a general DM metadata document that includes the full DM
<   metadata description of the data, like:
<
<
<<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<<DMmetadata xmlns="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/DM/dmmd-v1.0.xsd"
<  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
<  xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
<  xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/DM/dmmd-v1.0.xsd
<    http://www.ivoa.net/xml/DM/dmmd-v1.0.xsd">
<
<  <ObsDataLocation xmlns="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/STC/stc-v1.3.xsd"
<    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/STC/stc-v1.3.xsd
<      http://www.ivoa.net/xml/STC/stc-v1.3.xsd">
<    ...
<  </ObsDataLocation>
<
<  <Characterisation xmlns="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/CHAR/char-v1.0.xsd"
<    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/CHAR/char-v1.0.xsd
<    http://alinda.u-strasbg.fr/Model/Characterisation/schema/characterisation.1.
<0.xsd">
<    ...
<  </Characterisation>
<
<  <Provenance xmlns="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/PROV/prov-v1.0.xsd"
<    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/PROV/prov-v1.0.xsd
<      http://www.ivoa.net/xml/PROV/prov-v1.0.xsd">
<    ...
<  </Provenance>
<
<</DMmetadata>
<
     DEFINITLY YES;
<
<Mireille Louys wrote:
<> Dear all,
<>
<>
<> There is a new *documented* version of the Characterisation XML schema
<> available as both following links:
<> http://www.ivoa.net/xml/Characterisation/v1.0
<> http://www.ivoa.net/xml/Characterisation/Characterisation-v1.0.xsd
<>
<> Comments are welcome...
<>
<> Cheers,
<> Mireille Louys
<>
<>
<>
<--------------------------------------------------------------------------
<Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
<Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                tel:  +1 617 496 7701
<60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
<Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
<USA                                     http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/
<

Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr