sexagesimal

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Sep 18 14:13:07 PDT 2006

Roy wrote:

> The question is how to recognize that a string is actually
> sexagesimal coordinates. If a text box on a form allows coordinates
> or object name, how can code be written to decide what it is.

Our NVO-SS contingent has returned and has been able to report on the
context of this discussion.  It might help if folks would state the
problem fully in advance of suggesting a solution :–)  Not all of us
are present at every VO face-to-face.

> The answer I am seeing is that you spend 3 days writing 500 lines
> of Perl to disambiguate the numerous symbols and endless lemmas and
> codicils, then you fight like hell to keep that code useful by
> refusing to constrain the sexagesimal format even in the slightest,
> and forcing every other developer to go through the same 3 day
> bootcamp that you did.

Well, yes, if there is some requirement to support all known
variations of sexagesimal notation - especially if users are being
encouraged to enter both RA and Dec into the same text box for some
reason.  I'm skeptical that there is such a requirement beyond
importing legacy catalogs from ASCII sources.

Heck, I'm happy with my colon...er, that didn't come out right...at
any rate, there's no reason to support all formats. Like I said in a
separated by two non-numbers) is ok for government work.  The part
you're missing is code to detect ambiguous specifications.  The
solution isn't to try to legislate human data entry, but to detect
situations that cannot be reliably parsed into a single clear value.
Then report these back to the user for correction.

It seems to me that the real problem is with the assumption that a
single box on a form should be prepared to accept both names OR pairs
of coordinates.  Instead of a single text entry box accepting either
<name to be resolved> or <coordinate pair to be resolved>, how about
three boxes that the user can select between depending on what they
have at hand.  See http://archive.noao.edu/nsa for an example.  It
isn't the sexagesimal notation that needs to be constrained, it's the
idea that the user should be encouraged to type any random damn
quantity he wants into some form, rather than the form supplying a
separate entry field for each semantically separate type of data.

Steve said:

> I don't know about Rob, but before I was an undergraduate I was
> deriving the hyperbolic geometry equivalents on little notepads at
> the nurses station in between changing bedpans during the hospital
> night shift.

...and the question is whether the expertise with hyperbolic geometry
or bedpans will prove move useful in the IVOA era :–)

Rob