sexagesimal

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 18 13:09:07 PDT 2006

> I'm really not sure what the question is anymore.

The question is how to recognize that a string is actually
sexagesimal coordinates. If a text box on a form allows coordinates
or object name, how can code be written to decide what it is.

The answer I am seeing is that you spend 3 days writing 500 lines of
Perl to disambiguate the numerous symbols and endless lemmas and
codicils, then you fight like hell to keep that code useful by
refusing to constrain the sexagesimal format even in the slightest,
and forcing every other developer to go through the same 3 day
bootcamp that you did.

Roy

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670