Problems about the Spectrum Data Model from the view of a Web Service programmer

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Fri Sep 15 04:45:41 PDT 2006

>> ... However, I don't see why we shouldn't have attribute and
>> element children of the same element.
>
> I have no particular problem with that, though in general I'd
> choose for elements, which are easier to evolve to complexType-s.

Well, me either, but I don't think we should ban complex types,
sometimes they're useful.

Personally I much prefer

<tagOne attribOne="valueOne">valueTwo</tagOne>

or

<tagOne attribOne="valueOne" attribTwo="valueTwo" />

depending on the relative importance of the concepts to,

<tagOne>
    <tagTwo>valueOne</tagTwo>
    <tagThree>valueTwo</tagThree>
</tagOne>

which I think is overly verbose, and I'd actually prefer

<tagOne>
    valueOne
    <tagTwo>valueTwo</tagTwo>
</tagOne>

to that. But all of this is a style issue, it's about how people
think about concepts. All 4 of these are valid XML, and all 4 of them
can be serialised to valid SOAP. So what's the problem again?

Al.