Photometry in VO Spectrum Model

Pedro Osuna Pedro.Osuna at sciops.esa.int
Mon Oct 23 09:01:01 PDT 2006

Hi all,

we are not discussing about the protocol, we are discussing about the
Data Model, as an abstraction of the data that represents properly those
data. How to access them would be another issue.

Some time ago I sent Jonathan a note in which I asked him for the
blessing to create a small group working on Photometry data model
definitions. I attach the mail I sent to Jonathan and his response
(claiming that he believed everything related to photometry could be
done with the current model).

I think that modelling of Photometric data should be done properly, and
in view of the fact that it is not precisely a trivial issue, probably
the best at this time would be to:

1) release SED as is (without photometry description)
2) create a small group working on a model for Photometry as separate
(or complementary or whatever) to the SED one.

(In passing, I believe the same should be done for Time Series: create a
proper model complementary to the SED but somehow separate (Pavlos
Protopapas told me he has written something on this already....))

If you'd agree with this approach, Jonathan could eventually give his
blessing and an effort could be started to create the Photometry Data
Model. We already identified a list of people interested in belonging to
this effort (see the emails attached) within EURO-VO and could add to an
IVOA overall effort.

Cheers,
P.

--
Pedro Osuna Alcalaya

European Space Agency (ESA)
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
Research and Scientific Support Department (RSSD)
Astronomy Science Operations Division (SCI-SD)
e-mail: Pedro.Osuna at esa.int
Tel + 34 91 813 13 14    Fax: +34 91 813 11 72
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
P.O. Box 50727
E-28080 Villafranca del Castillo
MADRID - SPAIN
This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.