Spectral DM document update

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 10 10:09:38 PDT 2006

Hi Anita -

Just to be clear here, we are discussing the format of actual spectral
datasets containing typically thousands of data points.  VOTable,
FITS, and native XML are all possible serializations.  SSA (the
Spectrum model) defines standard Spectrum serializations for these
file formats.  The issue under discussion is how to deal with bulk
array-oriented data in the native XML serialization.

The Spectrum data model is actually two things: metadata describing
the spectrum dataset (this part is in common with the SSA protocol
and comes back in the query response), and a model for the data itself
(this is only used in an actual Spectrum dataset instance containing
the data samples).

SSA does not merely describe external, native project format spectra
since - unlike in the case of a FITS image - there is no standard
astronomical format for spectra.  It is possible in some cases to
pass-though native datasets which are in some project-specific data
format, but in general we are talking about transforming external data
into the standard SSA/Spectrum defined format at access time.

The most space-efficient representation for large spectral datasets
will be FITS binary table, but for a typical 1-D spectrum of several
thousand data points, VOTable or native XML is quite workable, is
preferable for passing complex metadata, and can be easier for modern
software to manage.  Even CSV could be adequate in some cases.

 	- Doug