Spectral DM document update

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Tue Oct 10 09:05:01 PDT 2006

For many high-resolution science-ready spectra, you have typically
thousands of data
points which all share the same characteristics apart from the spectral
coordinate and the flux density (and possibly the statistical error on the
flux density).

In such a case, thre may be e.g. 10 or 20 other pieces of metadata
(times, positions, position errors, spectral resolution per bin, accuracy
of central spectral coordinate etc. etc.) which do not need repeating.

As I understand it, the Spectrum model can 'be' the data in which case
there would indeed by a horrible bloat; a 100 M VOTable is far more
reasonable than 1 G one.  For some instances - and especially for SEDs,
with a few points, often with very different metadata, that is reasonable.
But I think I agree with Norman, that in practice the Spectrum model
will be far more useful in the case of large data sets, for describing
data which are in
any recognised
format (including xml) than for reproducing it.

cheers

Dr. Anita M. S. Richards, AstroGrid Astronomer
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,
Jodrell Bank Observatory, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K.
tel +44 (0)1477 572683 (direct); 571321 (switchboard); 571618 (fax).