The magic string (was Re: STC ObservationLocation)

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu May 25 10:36:56 PDT 2006

> The other thing I think needs sorting is the redundant use of the
> "magic string" three times,
> <AstroCoordSystem id="UTC-FK5-GEO" xlink:type="simple"
> xlink:href="ivo://STClib/CoordSys#UTC-FK5-GEO/" />
> <AstroCoords coord_system_id="UTC-FK5-GEO">

Alasdair

I am not bothered so much with this, it is just syntax, it is like
learning an irregular verb in a foreign language -- thats just the
way it is.

Besides it would be difficult to change the STC schema to avoid the
repetition.

We can "strongly encourage" in VOEvent that all three strings should
be the same.

Other users of STC can have their own conventions, perhaps defining
the IDs called "Frame1" and "Frame2" or some other convention.

Roy