STC ObservationLocation

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Tue May 23 07:51:53 PDT 2006

Roy,

    We could add special software that allows one to drop location or
other elements after the distance of the object has been confirmed.  For
instance, it is now known that many of the gamma ray events detected are
in fact terrestial in origin, in that they correlate with active
thunderclouds.  These are now called TGF, terrestial gamma-ray flashes.
One might suspect that Jupiter and Saturn which have lightning
discharges that are millions of time more powerful than Earth lightning
may also generate gamma-ray flashes.  These probably have not yet been
detected because of the distances involved, but as sensitivity improves,
as in GLAST, these may start showing up. The collisions of CME (coronal
mass ejections) in random locations in interplanetary space has been
correlated with the highest energy SEP (solar energetic particles) and
therefore it is conceivable that some GRBs are actually this.
   I suspect that you do not like this option.

Ed