STC ObservationLocation

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 23 06:25:00 PDT 2006

Yes, and if you happened to be using an HP-35 your ln(2) value might
be off...
I wasn't suggesting that mistakes were made - the reasons might be the
availability of a better position, or a comparison with data based on
a different solar system ephemeris (say, DE200 instead of DE405).
Of course there are cases where it does not matter.  In many cases I
don't care what time zone email messages addressed to me came from;
but nobody objects to that information being in the header.
Can we close this discussion?

  - Arnold

Roy Williams wrote:

> > If you say BARY, it means you have applied a transformation.  And that
> > transformation is based on model assumptions.
> > There are a number of applications where it is crucial that users can
> > undo that transformation (the obvious one being pulsar timing).
>
> So the obseratory location plays two semantic roles: one for TOPO
> (where it is strictly necessary) and one for GEO, where it is
> necessary to provide computational provenance in case of mistakes.
>
> In that case, I suggest that other elements be mandatory. Perhaps the
> time-zone where the time measurement was made? It is possible that
> the time-zone conversion was not done properly -- in which case it is
> equally crucial that users can undo that transformation. I for one
> never know whether we are on summer time or not.
>
> I suggest to you that in some cases the transformation from TOPO to
> GEO is very simple, and in these cases it is not necessary to pass
> the time-zone or the observatory location. Specifically, if the
> object is distant and the error in timing of the event is much larger
> than light-time across the Earth.
>
> Roy
>

> California Institute of Technology
> 626 395 3670

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu