Charac Answer

Francois Bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Sep 27 08:27:31 PDT 2005

Dear data modellers,
    A couple of weeks ago there was a discussion about Characterization
STC and maybe also Qty and how they could "collaborate" together (or not)
taking part in this discussion  I annouced a new schema attempt for
characterization.
    It is now available at
http://alinda.u-strasbg.fr/Model/Characterisation/char0905.xsd

     Contrary to the previous one it is only based on STC schemata
(from Arnold)

     CAUTION: It is just an attempt, it is NOT reflecting all the current
discussion to prepare the Charac Working Draft (involving Mireille, Alberto,
Igor, Anita, Doug, Jonathan...),and is based on the status Char data model
had at the Kyoto meeting. It is only there to feed this other  discussion on
how we can reuse another datamodel in a data model of "higher" level.
      Here I choosed STC XML types for all the basic structures of the char
schema.
      Even I used independantly some basic types such as CResolution or
CPixSize, where other should have  taken "Quantities". This may show that
actually both are needed eventually and that the relationship between
both has to be clarified.

     I included at high level in the model elements such as <ucd>, <unit>,
<coordsystem> ....
     Why ? because I prefer to have these things defined in common for
a whole axis if necessary (although in the case of unit and coordsystem it
is redondant with the Coordinates and CoordinateArea XML attributes defined
by Arnold's schemata)
     In my schema it is possible to redefine these elements at a lower
level if necessary.

     These elements would probably be better gathered in something like
a "QuantityFrame" or QuantityWithoutAValue like it existed in a previous
version of the Qty datamodel proposal.
    (We did something like that in our first attempt with Jonathan
one year ago http://alinda.u-strasbg.fr/Model/Characterisation/char032005.xsd)

     So again, that's not the last word for a characterization schema but
I hope it helps to show where the problems are and where are the hopes
to make all this work together!

A new version will be provided in a couple of days (before the Interop)
meeting) probably consistent with the draft and UML diagram to be
published soon.
   An example and utypes will be provided

Regards
François

>From owner-dm at eso.org  Fri Sep  2 19:08:32 2005
>Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 19:06:26 +0200 (MET DST)
>From: Francois Bonnarel <bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr>
>To: dm at ivoa.net
>Subject: Re: Charac Answer
>
>Dear all,
>   This is not to cut this interesting discussion, but just to inform
>people that there have been allready some attempts to make this "small"
>data models collaborating.
>   The version of characterisation UML diagram and XML schema presented
>in Kyoto (http://alinda.u-strasbg.fr/Model/Characterisation/char0505.xsd)
>was an attempt to reuse in characterisation a work made by Brian Thomas:
>Brian had provided an STC schema version based on his Quantity schema,
>and we tried to reuse this fusion. There has been an oral discussion on that
>and also on the list in May (see this dm list archive for details).
>    The main problem with that attempt, was that this STC schema was not
>the "official" one.
>   We are currently modifying the Char schema to rely directly on
>Arnold's schemata. I promise this in one week or so ...
>
>   I think this will help the discussion to see where Charac is complete
>and where it isn't, from STC point of view, and what is the real advantadge or
>drawback of that.
>
>Cheers to all
>François

Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr