Charac Answer

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 5 12:36:37 PDT 2005

It is useful to make a distinction between the type of data characterization
needed to determine if data is useful to one's analysis, and the
much more complete calibrations required to actually analyze the data.
The characterization model, at least at the higher levels, addresses the
former problem.

Even in the case of analysis the precision of the calibration information
required will vary greatly depending upon the data and the type of analysis
being performed (the time base calibration for example will vary a great
deal and much data does not require precise and rigorous time calibration).
Hence the hierarchical approach Anita describes.    - Doug