Expressing 2- and 3-D coordinates

Brian Thomas thomas at astro.umd.edu
Thu Dec 15 08:09:52 PST 2005

On Thursday 15 December 2005 03:18 pm, Ray Plante wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd be curious to hear which parser(s) are not processing lists properly.

	Ray,

	I have only tested Xalan (2.6.0). But a quick scan of the web shows
	much is left to be desired from the most common parsers out there.
	I need the xs:list datatype and fn:data functions to work for minimal
	use of lists within an XML document processing environment (e.g.
	using XSLT and NOT having to add my own hand-rolled processing
	instructions).

	A quick, incomplete review (and I stress "quick" and "incomplete" here) yields
	the following information:

Product Version Notes
------- ------- -------------------------------

Xalan   2.6.0   XPATH 1.0 only; http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/overview.html

.Net    2.0     XPATH 2.0 incomplete/missing; http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=133737&S
iteID=1

XMLSpy  ??      XPATH 2.0 partial (??), fn:data not supported in Ed's version, perhaps fixed in latest?

Saxon   8.6.1   (A/B) - claimed full support of XPATH 2.0

Orbeon  3.0     Only partial support of XPATH 2.0 (lists/fn:data dont work ??)

	So only Saxon appears to be a viable solution. In the far away past, I remember
	their software was quite slow (and memory hog) compared to other parsers, so
	I stayed away from it. Looks like this is a good point to review it again.

	=brian

--