Expressing 2- and 3-D coordinates

Ed Shaya Edward.J.Shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 14 11:40:33 PST 2005

There is no sin in rolling one's one for one's own purposes.  The VO
effort is primarily addressed at the issues involved in archiving data
permanently and the extraction of that data seamlessly from the
distributed repositories.  The formalisms involved in this may or may
not match the needs of individual projects (and vice-versa).  In
particular the required level of metadata and clarity is very high for
this purpose.  This may not suit other puposes.  Hopefully, the VO is
giving everyone new concepts and bits and pieces that they can sew
together to help form what they need.  It is only necessary that when it
comes time to send information to the permanent archives that it can be
transformed into the VO standard forms.  And it is also the case that
even within archives, VO processes may not be appropriate.  We certainly
are internally doing things very differently in the ADC.  We just need
to interface to each other's archives and to authors according to the
standards.
In other words, projects like VOEvent should not guide the VO.  It
should be informed by the VO and VO should be informed of it.

Ed