[Missing Practical Stuff]

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 3 02:34:41 PDT 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Guy Rixon wrote:
> yes there might be overlap with registry. However, registry doesn't yet have
> metadata to describe format of available data, only the syntax of a service
> interface or the contextual metadata of a data collection. I don't think there
> are metadata to say, e.g. "this service emits VOTable/FITS" o

Actually, the RM (and thus the VOResource schema) does include the
"Format" metadatum; when applied to a service, this is exactly what it is
intended to say.  Metadata for a specific service may specify this in more
detail.

Nevertheless, Francois is not talking about a service but an
"Observation".  Specifically, he is discussing specifically the format of
some external data file.   Thus, the VOResource metadatum may not apply
particularly well.

cheers,
Ray