[QUANTITY] Do we need it? Some quantities

martin hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Mon Oct 27 14:40:36 PST 2003

Being a bit radical here, but what is quantity for?  I've read the list (honest)
but it strikes me that really a quantity is simply a number.  A range for
example presumably consists of two quantities.  So perhaps we should start
further back and look at what kinds of quantities we want to describe -
personally I suspect we'll end up with a bunch of different 'quantity models'
some of which are not necessarily related...

So as a non-astronomer, we might have:

Value: simple number (integer or real)

Error:
   simple (+/- absolute)
   percentage (+/- percentage)
   normalised* (sigma?)

Range: Min Value + Max Value
   might have errors attached to range or to values?

Value & Range might have a unit attached, but only a simple error will.

*not sure of the right term here

Including quality is a scary topic (for me as an implementer!). Can we make it a
separate [Quality] model altogether?  It will get attached to all kinds of
things, including presumably complete data sets?

Martin

--
Martin Hill
07901 55 24 66