[QUANTITY] Data types question (Was: Re: [QUANTITY] The discussion so far

Gerard Lemson gerard.lemson at mpe.mpg.de
Fri Oct 31 07:22:10 PST 2003

Hi Brian
My answer must be seen against a question I pose in my reply to Jonathan.
I would really like to get feedback to this one:

which concept(ion) of Quantity are we really trying to model in the
"Quantity modeling effort" ?

At ADASS we seemed to agree somewhat that your and our models diferred along
the lines that
your model seems to model physical/persistent/stored representations of
(collections of) numbers.
Ours is a conceptual model indicating what other (meta-)data/information is
required to make
scientific sense of these numbers.
If Jonathan's suggestion is that it is harder to describe and implement a
storage model for
complex types I might agree. To describe a conceptual Quantity correctly
using a complex type is
less of a problem though, we've already done it. But even in the former case
it seems that we
better very quickly learn how to deal with types complexer than a single
number, seeing the
request/proposal for grouping in VOTables (and even UCDs) for example.
Gerard

--
* Gerard Lemson                       * Tel: +49 (0)89 30000-3316
*
* D-85741 Garching, GERMANY           * email: gerard.lemson at mpe.mpg.de
*