[QUANTITY] Data types question (Was: Re: [QUANTITY] The discussion so far

Ed Shaya Edward.J.Shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 3 10:49:11 PST 2003

Gerard,

    I can't speak for Brian's ultimate motivations, but storage was
completely peripheral to what I was trying to accomplish.  Rather, the
motivation was a simple generalized mechanism for describing objects
(read subjects now) and for access or query to them.  The idea is that
objects are described by a set of properties/quantities with values
known  (measured) to be within a range.   The known data on each object
is describable by a set of  quantities.

O = O(Q1, Q2, ... QN)

These Qs need to hold values, accuracy, and metadata Qs.  And each Q
needs to allow for arguments of other Qs to fully specify properties
like flux(position) or M(<r) or densities(r) or column_densities(R),
because otherwise one is not fully describing the Object. To retrieve
objects with properties within a certain range, one places constraints
on all objects to return a set of objects satisfying:

O(return) <--  (C(Q12) and/or C(Q28) and/or C(Q132))

Where the constraints can be on the values V, metadata values Qm, or
accuracy a.  By a constraint we mean the following in the case with a
quantity with scalar values and one piece of metadata,

   C(Q_i) <-- O(c1 < V_i <c2) and O(c5 < a_i < c6) and C(Qm) etc

In the case where the values are strings, as in the class name, then one
constrains by regular expression or string equivalence.  The strings
that represent the Objects I call literals, and are somewhat distinct
from quantities.
    Well, it does turn out that in this simple model the Qs happen to
correspond to columns of data so I can understand people associating the
model with a storage mechanism.  But I see that as fortuitous
happenstance.  The intent is to have the simplest  generic descriptive
and retrieval mechanism for all things.  It will be interesting to check
if all
use cases are special cases of these two mechanisms.
    Now if you want to call Q a measurement or property or field or
column or quantity or dataset or info, it is fine with me.  And these
Q's can and should be subclassed and/or typed.  But there ought to be
some class with the power of Q.  However, it would be annoying to have
to query for both the atomicQi and the arrayQi to find all of the Qi's
that are in range, but I would live.
    So when I heard the call for a simple quantity, I took that to mean
the simplest quantity based model  of information, not the most atomic
quantity entity.
    Yes Gerard, we absolutely need a full model of the metadata to fully
describe the Q's, Qm's and Os and your work is a first rate, first cut
at that.

Cheers,
Ed