[QUANTITY] An object- and domain-oriented proposal in UML and XML

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed May 28 08:19:45 PDT 2003

David,

Just a quick comment on your first point.
I agree that in principle the data model should not be implementation
specific.  However, I think it is important to keep in mind that the
reference mechanism is (should be) available when it comes to a
practical implementation.  Or, put differently: I think it is
reasonable to require implementations to incorporate the capability to
use references; with that in mind, the ID/IDREF part is not really XML
specific.

  - Arnold

Giaretta, DL (David)  wrote:
> Brian
>
> I'm a little concerned that your paper seems to be an XML specific data
> model - things like the Id and IdRef.
>
> It seems to me that we should be very clear that the data model should be
> independent of the format of the data. The same data can - and probably will
> - be represented as FITS, XML, Ascii, etc. We should clearly separate the
> representation from the actual information and one of the tests of the data
> model must surely be - "does it work if this piece of data is a FITS file"
> and "does it work if the data is pure XML" - and we'd better get an answer
> "yes" for both.
>
> The Open Archival Information System Reference Model (OAIS)
> (http://wwwclassic.ccsds.org/documents/pdf/CCSDS-650.0-B-1.pdf) - now an ISO
> standard - carefully distingusihes between Content Information and
> Representation Information and I think this is an important distinction.
>
> ...David

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu