[TRANSFORMS] - What is the scope of this work package?

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed May 21 11:08:15 PDT 2003

Hi Arnold -

> 1. I don't agree that we will ony have to deal with a limited set of
> units in the data model.  In resource descriptions and queries: maybe.
> But in data that are shuttled over the wire: no.  I happen to think
> that we should transmit (catalog) data as much as possible in original
> form - and that means a large variety of units.

You may well be right about catalog data.  But what this really means is
that we don't (yet, anyway) have a standard data model for catalog data.
Hence we just pass the data through as-is with no conversions other than
those necessary to represent the data in XML.  If we were to define some
catalog types (point source, extended source, photometric, etc.) with a
standard data model for each, then we would want to restrict the data
types in the over-the-wire VO data model.  The selection of standard
fields would need to be restricted as well, compared to the great diversity
of data out there in actual catalogs.

	- Doug