[TRANSFORMS] - What is the scope of this work package?

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed May 21 10:47:51 PDT 2003

Two comments on Doug's message:

1. I don't agree that we will ony have to deal with a limited set of
units in the data model.  In resource descriptions and queries: maybe.
But in data that are shuttled over the wire: no.  I happen to think
that we should transmit (catalog) data as much as possible in original
form - and that means a large variety of units.

2. To clarify: David was not suggesting that mapping information be
provided in FITS files - of course there should be VO metadata that
describe the mapping.  The question he posed was that of the syntax of
such metadata: should it mimic the FITS WCS syntax or should we adopt
the atomic approach that AST affords us?

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu