Spectral data models

Ivo Busko busko at stsci.edu
Tue May 13 12:35:22 PDT 2003

The following may, or may not be, relevant to the VO. Anyway,
it came to my mind when reading Frank's and Jonathan's excelent
write-ups on spectral standards. I apologize for my late
contribution to this discussion (the Cambridge meeting is taking
place as I write this).

In section 1.1 (What is a spectrum ?) of Jonathan's document
(http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~jcm/vo/vospec.pdf), the definition
of a fundamental spectrum says it is a special case of a
one-dimensional histogram. Wouldn't this definition exclude the
posibility for the VO spectral standard to support analytical
functions ? I don't know if this is a relevant issue, maybe the
VO should only support observational data, which always
intrinsically include some form of sampling. But, if it *is* a
relevant issue, then we should perhaps step back a little further
and say that the one-dimensional histogram is already some
processed form of a "true" spectrum.

This leads to a related issue regarding nomenclature. We tend
to use the word "spectrum" with a not so accurate meaning. What
we usually intend to refer to with this word is actually a
spectrogram. That is, a recording of the spectrum. In this same
context, I recall that, when trying to answer the question "what
is a spectrum" in the context of Specview's development, we
attempted to start from the very basics: "spectrum" basically
stands for the dependency (function) of the irradiance (time
averaged Poynting vector) in a EM wave, with the wave frequency.
The histogram concept comes into play only after we re-cast the
wave description into a photon-based one. Then, binning
the photons generates the spectrogram. This line of thought
bears some parallelism with the historical development in physics,
where the wave characteristics of EM radiation where formalized
before the quantum characteristics. And makes the continuous
spectral description a predecessor of the discrete one.

I envision the embodiement of these concepts in Jonathan's
proposal at the Axis object definition (section 4.3). We would
have to replace the AXIS_VALUES_XXX and related parameters by
some sort of abstract objects. These would then be subclassed into
the proposed _CENTER, _START, _SIZE, etc. parameters that describe
a sampled data set. They would as well be subclassed into other
subclasses appropriate for the description of continuous functions.
This second set of classes could be left unspecified for the
moment (I don't have a clear idea on how to do it), but could
be added any time later on, since the hooks would be in place
already.

Just some food for thought...

-Ivo