DC&P at IVOA Dec. Interop meeting

Pierre Le Sidaner pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
Tue Nov 23 04:23:21 PST 2010

Hi

ld like to pay attention or to make a short presentation on a particular
point. It's both related to preservation and registry.
I would just like to describe our experiment on the subject to promote
"good practice"
The OAIS (Open Archival Information System) suppose a unique identifier
that allow to specify without ambiguity unit of information stored.
 From IVOA point of view it's the ivo identifier. Since the last version
of registry syntax of this IVO is constrain. This point is largely
discuss by library's network.
I guess a good attention could be give to this identifier that will tell
the location of the data, but also the organisation of the project.
Particularly a hierarchical description from the host institute to the
data set including the team in charge of the data. We will try to
present our treatment of this on VO Paris Data Centre as a join venture
of different institute.

we have used for our proper case a specified aproach
ivo://<root>.<entity>.<organisation>/<service>+/<protocol>
where <root> represent the named autority root for us it's vopdc as vo
paris data centre
where <entity> represent l'autority responsible for this ressource
ressource, for us it could be observatoire de paris as obspm or institut
d'astrophysique de paris as iap ....
where <organisation> represent the organisation that lead the projet who
deliver the ressource. For us it's for example the departments of the
Observatoire : GEPI, LERMA, LESIA ...
this should compose the naming authority
and then as usual the <service>+/<protocole>

The organisation of naming authority will give good visibility to the
institute and global project. It will allow to find quickly the
different ressources registered. It will be clear for the user the
provenance of data.

Our approach will also at least leave one untreated points that have to
be discuss:

* Should we promote access to IVO registry to other project with IVOA or
particular protocol, for example : VAMDC with TAP:XAMP, EUROPLANET &
IPDA with PDAP, HELIO ....
then this identifier will be ivo: or should we allow to share IVOA
infrastructure with identifier vamc: or epn: or should it be ivo://epn/....
I understand that it's both a political and a technical point

If you want I can make a very short presentation on that
Best regards
Pierre

Dear DC&P enthusiasts,

> As the new Chair of the Data Curation and Preservation IG, I would
> like to hear from people on the list what topics we may want to
> discuss during the meeting and who may want to give a presentation.
> Two main reasons for this request:
>
> 1. Coming up with an agenda for the meeting, and
> 2. Scheduling an appropriate amount of time for discussion
>
> Since there will be parallel sessions, it would be good to hear from
> you what, if any, additional meetings we should try to avoid conflicts
> with.
>
> I have a few items that I would like to see discussed during the
> meeting, and will send a separate email with my suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
> -- Alberto

                            Pierre Le Sidaner
                         Observatoire de Paris

Division Informatique de l'Observatoire
Observatoire Virtuel 01 40 51 20 89
61, avenue de l'Observatoire 75014 Paris

mailto:pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
http://vo-web.obspm.fr