ObsCore for velocity cubes

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Mar 1 09:17:53 CET 2023

Hi again,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 06:54:25PM +0100, BONNAREL FRANCOIS wrote:
> use dataLink and the #detached-header semantics value. But the connexion to
> SODA is not that obvious in that case
>
>       two ways to do it :
>
>     a ) use an extra parameter such as META=true (see proposal and
> implementation by CADC there : https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpNov2021DAL/minoc-soda-objectstore.pdf)
>

> b ) directly describe the VEL cutout parameters in the service descriptor of
> SODA (with VALUES and MIN/MAX elements
>

> I personnaly prefer a ) and this can be integrated in SODA-next. We can also
> imagine to provide ObsCore-style PARAM names (and maybe also utypes) for the
> wcs parameters

Not surprisingly, I much prefer (b) -- and to illustrate the utility
of that, I'd like to again shamelessly advertise my XSLT/JS combo
that will turn datalink responses into little UIs in the browser the
way that I think desktop clients should do that, too (for you to
deploy: <https://github.com/msdemlei/datalink-xslt>; showcase at
<http://dc.g-vo.org/static/datalinks.shtml>).

I'd argue that's the way to tackle this sort of problem without
having to touch obscore each time a new sort of dataset comes along.

Thanks,

          Markus