ObsCore for velocity cubes

Andreas Wicenec andreas.wicenec at uwa.edu.au
Thu Feb 16 03:10:17 CET 2023

Hi James,

that is a good suggestion. The usage of velocity vs. frequency is mostly use case/user driven. The original measurements are in frequency and in some cases the conversion from one to the other is not straight forward, again mostly dependent on the use case, in which case we end up having 'pure' velocity cubes. Thus encoding both might work for some, but not for others. The other thing to consider is the rest-frame, since quite often these velocity cubes are used for studies of local dynamic effects, like galaxy rotation curves, in which case the zero point is set to some estimate of the galaxies cosmological velocity (RESTFREQa). Now, obviously all of this is limited to just radial velocities, while in fact we are dealing with velocity vectors. To cover that we are using proper motion and parallax to describe apparent and intrinsic velocity on the sphere and in addition line-of-sight velocity to capture the intrinsic and apparent radial movement. Taken together, we end up in a set of vectors and probably frames. For a naive user the proposed description is probably sufficient, for actual scientific use of multiple of such cubes, quite a bit more information is required. Thus probably just a good start....

Cheers,
Andreas