WD-DALI-1.2

gilles landais gilles.landais at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Aug 4 09:36:48 CEST 2023

Hi,

thank you for the new DALI version -

my feedback is  focused on VOTable output.
I have a lot of interest on the document that shows points that could
improve in general the VOtable.

For instance the semantic and the sexagesimal xtypes inspire me to
improve VOTable returned by the VizieR service (there are a lof
sexagesimal columns in VizieR).

About the section 5.4 Use of VOTable.

* about Error report: (already in the current/previous version) the
method between DALI and SCS are different

- SCS requires: ID="Error" name="Error"
- DALI requires:  name="QUERY_STATUS" value="ERROR"

* I like the idea (already in current version) of information
"standardID" and "citation".
If I understand, these are applied on the resulted VOTable - but the
INFO proposed sounds more like service information than Dataset information.

We could enrich VOTAble the header with other information (see
https://ivoa.net/documents/DataOrigin/)
For instance, "citation" could be applied to the Dataset, but also to
external resource like the original resource (example Gaia tables) or an
article used to create the Dataset. More important, the ivoid  should be
added for the service (standardID) but also for the Dataset(s) (to make
the link with information in the registry)

I think too, that decorate the result with information like authors,
publication date should be interesting.
Nevertheless, is it possible to propose in DALI 1.2 at least the ivoid
of the Datasets used?

Something like: <INFO name='ivoid' value='ivo:...' />

Regards,

Gilles Landais (CDS)