LineTAP

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu May 5 17:43:07 CEST 2022

FWIW, a good principle for IVOA is to make specifications as general as
possible for application across all subcommunities.
If we are talking about the spectral coordinate axis, frequency and energy
make much more sense than wavelength.
Wavelength, for most of us, just runs the wrong way.
For energy one could use the eV as the basic unit, but using Hz for
frequency probably makes more sense.
That should feel natural for radio and HEA and indeed the physical quantity
of the spectral axis increases as the numbers get bigger.
Powers of 10 can easily be avoided by using the usual prefixes.

Cheers,

Arnold H Rots

Research Associate

SAO/HEAD

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian

Email: arots at cfa.harvard.edu

Office: +1 617 496 7701 | Cell: +1 617 721 6756

60 Garden Street | MS 69 | Cambridge, MA 02138 | USA

cfa.harvard.edu | Facebook <http://cfa.harvard.edu/facebook> | Twitter
<http://cfa.harvard.edu/twitter> | YouTube <http://cfa.harvard.edu/youtube>
| Newsletter <http://cfa.harvard.edu/newsletter>