Sexagesimal metadata

Anita M S Richards a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 18:38:07 CET 2022

Dear all,

Apologies for butting in as a lurking user, but if the many service providers can be persuaded to be more consistent in the sexagesimal format required for queries this would save users many hours!

CDS at least provides examples and documentation.  But there are so many variants out there (including ALMA using 12.12.12.12 for +12:12:12.12 Dec) that it is usually impossible to take a list from one data provider and use it to query another without extensive use of SED or whatever...  If standardisation is not possible is there any chance of developing and providing translation code to service providers so that if I entered e.g. 12h12m12.12s +12d12m12.1s or any likely variant, this would be translated into whatever their service needed?

many thanks
Anita

Dr. A.M.S. Richards
Senior visiting fellow, JBCA, University of Manchester, M13 9PL
a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk (please do not use old  @jb.man.ac.uk email)
I work the hours which suit me. I do not expect instant replies, I respect whatever hours you work.