Facility and instrument terms in the different protocols

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Thu Apr 28 15:28:59 CEST 2022

Hello,

I agree we should update the definition of these fields in the various
specs , but I believe the problem is more complex than that.

We did tackle this issue also on the semantics list , if you allow me to
point to a previous email
http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/semantics/2022-February/002973.html .

There has been some work about describing instruments, facilities ,
observatories , and relations between these metadata .
This is a topic important for data providers, documentalists and
librarians  who feed and check the data in the archives.

There is no unique identifier for Instruments or Telescopes or
associations of telescopes, etc. today.
Some space telescopes are called observatory (HST,...),  or as in your
list,  some are identified by different names .

Ideally , all the models you are citing would like a uniq string as a
name for facility and instrument.
if we use names, we will have to define name resolvers to handle synonyms .
Baptiste Cecconi and Laura Bischop will show some work in this direction
tomorrow at the semantics session.

In a recent discussion we wanted also to clarify better by adding an
Organization column, which designates the organisation in charge of the
telescope.
see the usefull example ZTF example, as proposed by Mathew .
Having the organization name helps also to disentangle between various
synonyms, or fuzzy names filled for telescope,
as some observatory sites may host telescopes from different organizations.

how can we proceed to go forward with the facility/instrument updates in
the ivoa specifications?

Should we have a Dal/semantics/registry running meeting in the near
future? next month ?
or a focus meeting on this specially with interested people from each WG?

thanks for follow up on the topic,
cheers, Mireille

Le 27/04/2022 à 18:57, Tamara Civera a écrit :

> Dear DAL, Registry,
>
> I am writing to you due to the definitions of the terms/fields
> "facility" and "instrument" used in the different protocols Obscore,
> SIAP v 2.0 and VoDataService. I have found that the current ones can
> cause confusion, especially the "facility" term (I send attached a
> "facility_name" list from different Observatories Obscore services and
> in some, this field contains the observatory name, in other the
> telescope name,...). So I propose to clarify and unify them in these
> protocols.
>
> Current "Facility" definition according to the different VO protocols
> documentation:
>
>   * Obscore "Facility" definition:
>       o "B7.1 The Facility class codes information about the
>         observatory or facility used to collect the data."
>       o "C.3
>         <FIELDname="facility_name"datatype="char"ucd="meta.id;instr.tel"utype="obscore:Provenance.ObsConfig.Facility.name"xtype="adql:VARCHAR"arraysize="128*"><DESCRIPTION>telescope
>         name</DESCRIPTION></FIELD>"
>   * SIAP 2.0 "Facility" definition: "2.1.12 The FACILITY parameter is
>     a string-valued parameter that specifies the name of the facility
>     (usually telescope) where the data was acquired. The value is
>     compared with the facility_name from the ObsCore [7] data model"
>   * VoDataService "Facility" definition: "3.1.1 The observatory or
>     facility used to collect the data contained or managed by this
>     resource."
>

> Current "Instrument" definition according to the different VO
> protocols documentation:
>
>   * Obscore "Instrument" definition: "B7.2 The name of the instrument
>     used for the acquisition of the observation."
>   * SIAP 2.0 "Instrument" definition: "2.1.13 The INSTRUMENT parameter
>     is a string-valued parameter that specifies the name of the
>     instrument with which the data was acquired. The value is compared
>     with the instrument_name from the ObsCore [7] data model."
>   * VoDataService "Instrument" definition: "3.1.1 The instrument used
>     to collect the data contain or managed by a resource."
>
> After discussing this topic with Markus Demleitner in the IVOA
> Interoperability Meeting, we have thought these possible definitions
> for facility and instrument:
>
> "Facility" should contain the name of the device that collected the
> messenger particles (as opposed to the detector, which is in
> "instrument").  In the optical, this would usually designate a
> telescope, in the radio, it would be a dish or an array, for space
> missions, usually the whole probe.
>
> "Instrument" should contain the name of the device used for analysing
> and detecting the messenger particles. Instances of such devices would
> include cameras, spectrographs, or particle detectors.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tamara Civera
>
> --
> Tamara Civera Lorenzo
> Scientific Database and Web Access Engineer
> [...]

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34